Thursday, May 7, 2009

Under the Tuscan Sun: Easter Getaway

When the question of what to do for the first Easter without my family, not much came to mind. I’m used to working at the local bakery from the early morning to having a loud and loving gathering with my extended family, the traditional Italian way. I came as close as I could try, my friends and I decided to rent a villa outside of Tuscany and have a long weekend getaway. I found a little place not only outside of Florence, but outside of Luca, and this adorable apartment was actually located on a mountain, with a river directly across the street, and complete with an in ground pool. After arriving at our stop in Castlenuova. Our weekend long landlord, drove us up the long windy road, leading to the almost top of the mountain. The accommodations were adorable, the scenery breathtaking, and the feeling indescribable. The rooms were cozy, the floors were freezing, the kitchen was tiny, but fully stocked with appliances I’ve almost lost memory of. When we arrived the weather was fair, however, that was short-lived. The only grocery store in miles was closed for lunch, and regrettable when they reopen, an extreme thunderstorm came upon us. All cozy on our little red sofa, watching our plasma with a DVD player… you can imagine the excitement, and our emergency stash of macaroni and cheese, it couldn’t have been a better start. Movies, friends, and a thunderstorm, it was the perfect sleepover atmosphere. The next morning I was all business. And by business I’m sure you know what I’m talking about… getting my tan on. I quickly tied on my bathing suit and enthusiastically went outside scantily clad and determined to get sun kissed. Though the weather was not optimal, I got a lil sumthin sumthin. We hit the grocery store, made girly feasts, including chocolate, cookies, wine, and all that good stuff. We cooked meals, shared secrets and snuggled periodically in front of the TV. I even got to take a bubble bath. Easter morning we made a brunch (complete with Mimosas), that evening we partook in some interesting activities. Let’s just say we made some “American Traditions” in the Castlenuova area. After cooking like crazy, eating our hearts out, and laughing to tears, I may have stayed on top of a mountain, but I felt like I was on top of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment